Today is National Working Parents Day, which is a day to pay tribute to all parents, working or not, who are caring for their families. In the wake of COVID-19, this year’s Working Parents Day is especially important to celebrate.
The ongoing pandemic has disrupted the lives of parents across the country by forcing them to work from home all while managing their children’s remote school day.
For many, this is a massive change. The new norm of remote work and school is causing stress and additional challenges. If you’re a parent that is trying to balance your new life at home, just know you’re not alone.
On this special day, Rinse wanted to help parents who are trying to navigate these new challenges by sharing tips and tricks from Rinse customers who are parents.
Tips & Tricks to Navigate the Challenges of Managing Work and School at Home
Below are some of the top tips and tricks from our customers!
Find Balance and Stay Focused
- If you have space, make sure to set up private areas for study and work to help with concentration. Sean M., San Francisco
- The thing that has helped me the most with managing my new normal is the iPad to entertain my kid while I’m in a Zoom meeting. I also created her own workspace for learning, playing, or for art/creative hour. Alexa helps with setting timers and reminders to keep our day on schedule. And we’ve used UberEats, Caviar, and Instacart for either breakfast lunch, or dinner. Basically any kind of home delivery service has been essential for us. - Crystal O., San Francisco
Create Structure and Accountability
- At the start of each day, I meet with my daughter for 5 minutes and we go over her schedule and what she needs to do. We write it on the whiteboard and when she's done she puts a checkmark. Then when I have a break between meetings I can see her progress and ensure she hasn't forgotten anything. - Bonnie S., San Francisco
- Structure in me and my daughter’s daily life is a big help. Making sure we have our own spaces to work and all the tools we need. - Terrence B., San Francisco
Discover New Tools and Services That Free Up Time
- We use outschool.org, they hire trained teachers to teach virtual classes of all topics and levels. The classes are one-off or in a series and they're a great way to keep a child entertained and learning while not in school or engaged with school activities so that my husband and I could work. - Katherine D., Washington D.C.
- Removing the laundry from our housework helps significantly with the quality of life. As parents, we can spend more time playing with kids, and it’s less stressful. We can not live in the pandemic without Rinse. - Koji K., San Francisco
- Having Rinse to do laundry has helped tremendously during COVID-19. I'm able to focus on my work and my daughter's school which has been very helpful. - Alicia V., Los Angeles
Breathe Deep and Accept Imperfection
- You don't have to do it all. If the kids watch YouTube at 10 am, don't stress. If you can't finish your work because you've chased your kids, don't worry. - Amanda P., San Francisco
- Let go of high expectations for yourself and the kids. It's too much to expect us to perform as we did when working in-person. Three video calls a day is a lot. - Crystal M., Rinse San Francisco
The team at Rinse would like to wish all parents the best as they continue to persevere through these uncertain times!