We are just halfway through 2020, a tornado of uncertainty and a tidal wave of new challenges. One of the MANY changes we’ve had to adapt to is working from home, and with that has come a new workday over Zoom. Aside from scrambling for the unmute button when addressed, and keeping pets, kids, and partners out of the frame, virtual meetings also present the challenge of feeling present and engaged.
If we know one thing it’s that clothes have the power to make or break your day because they impact how you feel and can help put you in the right state of mind. After talking with authorities on the topic, it turns out that holds true even when working from home. That’s why we went to Christina Santelli at Style Me New, the personal styling experts, for tips on how to stay present and presentable in the age of Zoom by leveraging the clothes you wear.
Being present has a lot to do with being in the correct mindset to accomplish the tasks and goals to be successful during your workday. One of the most reliable ways to be present? Get dressed!
Rolling out of bed ten minutes before your first Zoom meeting may seem pretty appealing, but at some point the appeal gives way to the truth – you look like you just rolled out of bed and you probably feel that way too. There have been many memes and videos circulating of folks being caught with not just their pants down but with NO pants at all! Not acceptable, and probably not great for that person’s promotion prospects.
To set yourself up for a successful work day, it’s important to make a conscious effort to get up and establish a morning routine similar to the one before the 2020 apocalypse descended upon us. So, in addition to brushing your teeth, having your morning coffee, (or shake, or whatever gets you going), put some thought into your clothes when you get dressed, like you used to.
I am not suggesting you wear stuffy trousers or uncomfortable pencil skirts but something that allows you to be comfortable yet put-together, so you’re ready and prepared to take on your day. Our clothes don’t just impact how others perceive us, they impact how we see ourselves and set the tone for how we feel throughout the day, so set yourself up for success!
Here are a few suggestions to elevate your Zoom look, and, in turn, your virtual work day:
- Don’t wear wrinkled clothing. It just looks like you don’t care which translates to I don’t care about this meeting.
- Do lean towards brighter pieces or prints – they will help you appear more awake and engaged.
- Do add interest and polish to simple looks with a statement piece. For women this may be a necklace or scarf. For men, this may be a crisp button down with an interesting print.
- Do keep things fresh. Since your colleagues will just be seeing your top half consider your full look. Updating your eyewear frames to something more colorful or with detail can change how you are perceived or just give your colleagues something new to look at!
- Do be mindful of fit, making sure that nothing is too low cut or too fitted.
- Don’t wear garments or accessories that are shiny as it will create glare, not to mention may be visually distracting.
Putting effort in to look polished during the day won’t just help you appear professional, it’ll also help you feel great and put you in the right headspace to do your best work!